Sunday, November 22, 2009

We're not in the High Desert anymore Dorothy...

Hubby and I just got back from a trip to Costa Mesa today. Talk about culture shock! Yesterday we drove to Fashion Island in Laguna. The difference between where we live and Laguna is very big. Everything is beautiful and luxurious and seemingly perfect! People bring their dogs shopping with them (where we live, you would be asked to leave), they are EVERYWHERE, in the stores, in the restaurants, on the sidewalks (even in the restroom!) The stores are amazing too, with gorgeous window displays and sales people who actually help you. While standing in the middle of the court yard a man in a suit approached us and asked if he could help us find something...They even had valet parking...VALET parking. I am sure that if you didn't already think I was a Hillbilly, you do by now, and maybe I am...OK, OK, I am. What occured to me though, is that both the wealthy and the average Americans both have prejudices against each other. The wealthy look down on the average because they are not buying expensive things, and the average people are looking down on the wealthy because they think they are foolish for paying such outrageous prices. We are all snobs. And let's not forget the in betweens who are not wealthy but who go into debt buying things they cannot afford so they can pretend to belong to a certain social class. Which is worse? I don't now. I suppose it is the group you don't belong to...hey, I'm just keepin' it real! Enjoy the pictures. Until the next post, Blessings, Jodi

No comments:

Post a Comment