Thursday, November 12, 2009

Chicken burritos

Well, we finally did it...we ate our chicken for dinner tonight. If you have been following my posts, you know that last Saturday we butchered our three gargantuan-over grown-grotesquely-large-chickens. I have been so sickened at the very thought of eating them that I have been putting it off. After the masacre, I cooked and deboned the meat and froze it in 2 cup portions to use later. So tonight I bravely went where few american housewives have gone before...into the freezer for some home grown preservative free, free range chicken. And you know what? It was delishious. There was an awkward moment though, when our youngest innocently asked me, "Is this OUR chicken?" And of course I had to answer honestly. After I told her the truth, we all looked down at our plates for a moment, then picked up our forks continued eating. I did feel a little guilty, but not enough to keep me from finishing my meal... Here is the recipe I used, feel free to substitute the fresh chicken for whatever you get from your grocer though.

Chicken Burritos
1 box of mexican style rice cooked according to package directions
1 can pinto beans drained
2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Lawrys french fried onions
Tortillas
Mix the first 3 ingredients together, serve warm in tortillas with the cheese and onion as toppings. Very yummy!
Enjoy! -Jodi

No comments:

Post a Comment