Sunday, October 4, 2009

RIP Paul

I purchased about 4 months ago, what I thought was 7 baby chicks. As it turns out, I was wrong. What I actually purchased was 6 baby chicks and 1 baby rooster. Normaly on a farm this would not be a problem. But I don't live on a farm. I live in the city. I have no use for a rooster and all that cock-a doodle-dooing that goes along with him. I do not want more babys chicks, I just want to have fresh eggs for my family. So what do you do with an unwanted rooster? Well, your choices are few. You can either use him for cock fighting ,(NEVER!!!) give him away, (I tried to give him to my friend Tamala for her birthday, but she had never heard of a Birthday-Rooster before and graciously declined) or eat him. Well the last option would not be too bad except that the kids had started calling him Paul, and if we were going to eat him, we would also have to KILL him. Now if I had to, I mean REALLY had to (Like we were starving )I would, but as it stands, I am a wimp. I did alot of research on google and although there are many ways to kill poultry, none of them seemed appealing to me or to Paul. My friend Heidi said she would be happy to ,"Take care of him" for me. She has a farm and is used to this sort of a thing. However, it turns out that I have a neighbor who has no problem killing chickens. He grew up on a farm and is not squimish at all. When I offered Paul to him, he happily agreed to take him off my hands. He showed up an hour later with a burlap sack. We put Paul in it and off he went. Later that day, we saw my neighbor and asked how the rooster was doing. His answer was,"He's in my freezer." RIP Paul.

3 comments:

  1. I am laughing so hard! Sorry Paul, I have no sympathy for you early morning sleep bashers! LOL! Great neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right there with you Brenda, and I'll let you kow Isabel when the BBQ is!LOL!

    ReplyDelete